Latest Update: Family of those, who died in the Mumbai serial blast terror attack, met Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and demanded to hanged Yakub Memon, lone death row convict in the case.
“I have signatures of 1600 people given in just two hours who all want Yakub to be hanged,” said Tushar Deshmukh, who lost his mother in the 1993 blasts. “I have given a letter to the Governor, have met Maharashtra Chief Minister and Nitin Gadkari ji. I will also give these signatures to the President,” he said.
When Supreme court was hearing a petition to put a stay on his execution, Yakub Memon, who is set to be hanged on Thursday in Nagpur Jail, sent a fresh mercy plea to President Pranab Mukherjee.
Earlier Report: After stark differences of opinion between two judges yesterday, a Supreme Court bench set up by the Chief Justice of India has started the hearing to decide the fate of Yakub Memon, the 1993 Mumbai Serial Blast lone death row convict.
Justices A R Dave and Kurian Joseph did not have an agreement on the issue of entertaining the plea of Memon.
Earlier on Tuesday, Justice Anil Dave, one of the judges, had said, Yakub Memon’s execution should not be stopped; “if the king doesn’t punish the guilty with red eyes then the entire sins will come on the king.” However, Justice Kurien Joseph, differs from Anil Dave’s view, saying that there was a violation of procedure and “such technicality should not stand in the way to protect the life of a person.”
Yakub Memon had moved the apex court seeking to quash the death warrant against him by the TADA court, claiming that the court could not have issued the warrant when his curative petition was already pending before the Supreme Court. The petition says that the death warrant issued for his hanging on July 30 was against the principles of natural justice and due processes of law were not followed. Earlier, the top court had rejected Yakub’s curative petition.