The 90-day ban on the citizens of Sudan, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, and Yemen does not apply to those who already have valid visas. The order will come into effect on March 16. The new order explicitly exempts Iraqis, legal permanent residents and valid visa holders.
In addition, the Refugee Admissions Program will also be temporarily suspended for the next 120 days and the country will not accept more than 50,000 refugees per year.
As a relief, those previously admitted to the United States for “a continuous period of work, study, or other long-term activity,” those with “significant business or professional obligations” and those seeking to visit or live with family can also apply for case-by-case waivers of the order.
“This executive order responsibly provides a needed pause, so we can carefully review how we scrutinise people coming here from these countries of concern,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said.
This revised ban has addressed many legal pitfalls faced by the earlier ban which was widely criticised, yet the new order remains vulnerable to legal challenges.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said that the ban was”a vital measure for strengthening our national security”