Thai man kills daughter, uses Facebook Live to broadcast murder


thailandIn yet another horrific Facebook live video, a Thai man before committing suicide created a live video of himself killing his 11-month-old daughter. He posted two video clips on Facebook.

The child’s murder on her father’s Facebook page was easily available to people for roughly 24 hours until the videos were taken down around 5pm in Bangkok (3:30pm IST) on April 25 about a day after being uploaded.

Facebook removed the horrific video clip that showed the father putting a noose around his 11-month-old baby daughter’s neck and hanging her from the roof of an abandoned building in Phuket.

The Public Health Ministry had requested the Facebook to remove the video from the Internet.

“This is an appalling incident and our hearts go out to the family of the victim. There is absolutely no place for content of this kind on Facebook and it has now been removed,” the Facebook spokesperson said in an official statement.

The father’s suicide was not included in the Facebook Live broadcast.

The public and distraught family were shocked after watching the clip, which lasted more than four minutes.

Facebook had to remove the clip as it could cause depression and could prompt copycat suicides, said Ministry spokesman Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, who also heads the Somdet Chaopraya Institute of Psychiatry.

“If his family members have no access to his Facebook account, Facebook must take action. It’s Facebook’s responsibility,” he said.

The 21-year-old man who committed suicide after killing her daughter was reportedly angry over his wife leaving him.

The Facebook Live clip went viral and was drawn to the attention of the mother who rushed to seek help from police.

Phuket Governor Norapat Plodthong said social workers would provide counselling to the baby’s mother.

Previously, Facebook has admitted that broadcasts of murders and suicides have been an issue that it has taken steps to prevent.

While refereeing to a video clip of Cleveland murder that was uploaded to Facebook, co-founder Mark Zuckerberg said: “We have a lot of work, and we will keep doing all we can to prevent tragedies like this from happening.”