Dismissing the plea challenging summons in the National Herald case, Delhi High Court on Monday ordered Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Vice-president Rahul Gandhi to appear before the trial court tomorrow.
Justice Sunil Gaur said, “ Petition are dismissed.” In his judgement, he also declined another of their plea for exemption from personal appearance in the lower court.
Including the Congress’ President and Vice-president, five other accused – Suman Dubey, Moti Lal Vohra, Oscar Fernandez, Sam Pitroda and Young India Ltd–will have to appear in the trial court tomorrow.
The court also refused the extension of the August 6, 2014 interim order by which the summons were stayed.
Responding to oral pleas by senior advocated Harin Raval, Justice Gaur said, “No”. Harin Ravail is appearing for the accused. The plea was requesting to either an exemption from personal appearance be granted or the August 6, 2014 order staying the summons be extended.
Giving the judgement, the court also questioned the need for extending interest-free loan to Associated Journals Ltd (AJL) the publishers of National Herald. “Where was need to extend interest free loan,” it said.
On June 26, 2014, the trial court had summonded all the accused to appear before it, on August 7, 2014 for Subramanian Swamy’s complaint for alleged cheating and misappropriation of funds in acquiring ownership of now-defunct daily, National Herald.
Following which, the Congress leaders, on July 30, 2014, move the high court which had stayed the summons on August 6, last year.