An earthquake measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale struck Uttarakhand on late February 4 night. Tremors of the quake were felt at several places across North India, including Delhi, NCR, western UP, Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh.
The epicentre of the earthquake was at Baron Basti in Rudraprayag district in Uttarakhand. While the Indian Meteorological Department said the tremors originated from a depth of 21 km below the ground, the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC) stated that the earthquake struck at a depth of 40 km.
Uttarakhand, which is witnessing election campaigning as voting is scheduled there on February 15, might be affected after the earthquake.
The quake was felt late night in districts of Uttarkashi, Chamoli and Pithoragarh. Panicked residents ran out of their houses towards open spaces. In Dehradun, people were seen staying outside their homes anticipating aftershocks.
No damage to life and property has been reported so far. Uttarkahand Chief Minister Harish Rawat said that he spoke to district magistrates and sought a report.
In a tweet, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, “Spoke to officials & took stock of the situation in the wake of the earthquake felt in various parts of North India.”
“PMO is in touch with officials in Uttarakhand, which is the epicentre of the quake. I pray for everyone’s safety & wellbeing,” he said in another tweet.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh sought a detailed report on earthquake. To carry out relief operations, the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has been put on high alert.
The Home Ministry is watching the situation in Uttarakhand and other north Indian states where the tremors have been felt, Singh said in a tweet.
“Two NDRF teams, comprising 90 personnel, have been rushed from Ghaziabad to Rudraprayag to conduct relief operations, if the situation arises,” he said.