New Delhi, Aug 18 (PTI): Opposition parties today attacked the Centre on the issue of missing files related to the coal block allocation scam, saying that it is “shameful” on the part of the government and it should explain as to what exactly happened and who are responsible for it.
“It is very shocking and shameful for the government and it should issue a clarification and explain to the people what exactly is the position, who is responsible for this. What has happened and how it has happened, all these things should be placed before the public,” BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu said.
Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal yesterday admitted that some files from 1993 to 2004 were missing and a committee headed by an Additional Secretary of the ministry is inquiring into it.
JD-U President Sharad Yadav said that it was “limit of irresponsibility” by the government and they would raise the issue in Parliament.
“These missing files are limit of irresponsibility by the government, so I will ask the government not to beat around the bush and the people directly responsible and accountable for this are giving speeches of probing into the matter and informing the nation that the files are missing… We will take up this issue in Parliament,” he said.
Commenting on the issue, BJP General Secretary Rajiv Pratap Rudy said it was a matter of concern and the entire statement given by the minister was a suspect.
“We do not know actually what all are missing and the statement of the minister is also laced with politics. How can any file go missing? I think by mentioning any particular period, the minister is trying to acquit himself from certain action,” Rudy said.
“So the very statement makes the entire action and a major scam, in which the Prime Minister’s Office is also involved, which is also under the scanner of the Supreme Court. This entire action and statement of the minister is a suspect,” he said.
The CBI on July 31 had said that at least five crucial files related to allotment of coal blocks during 2006-09 have not been received by it despite providing specific details.
CBI has so far registered 13 cases related to block allotments during 2006-09 for alleged misrepresentation of facts by the beneficiaries while applying for the blocks.
In June, the Coal Ministry had constituted an Inter-ministerial panel to look into the issue of missing files. The panel has so far held one meeting.
Some time back, the Coal Ministry had informed a Parliamentary committee that it is trying to locate lost and missing files on coal block allocation after the Supreme Court said that the Centre was not aiding CBI with documents in its probe.