The Maharashtra Control for Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court on 30 September awarded death sentence to five of the 12 convicts and seven to life sentence in the serial bombs blasts in Mumbai local trains in 2006.
The five convicts are Ahamed Ansari, 37, Mohd Faisal Shaikh, 36, Ehtesham Siddiqui, 30, Naved Hussain Khan, 30, and Asif Khan, 38. The death convicts’ lawyers said they will move the Bombay High Court against the MCOCA court order.
The accused were found guilty under IPC, Explosives Act, Unlawful Activities Prevention Act, Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act and Indian Railway Act and those under MCOCA.
Those convicts given life sentence include Tanvir Ahmed Ansari, 37, Mohammad Majid Shafi, 32, Shaikh Alam Shaikh, 41, Mohd Sajid Ansari, 34, Muzzammil Shaikh, 27, Soheil Mehmood Shaikh, 43 and Zamir Ahmad Shaikh, 36.
Prosecution had demanded death penalty for eight of the 12 accused and sought life imprisonment for the remaining four in the MCOCA court of Special Judge Yatin D Shinde.
Earlier on 11 September, it had convicted 12 of the 13 accused, all allegedly having links with banned SIMI, while acquitting one.
It may be recalled seven RDX bombs had exploded in the first class coaches in suburban trains on July 11, 2006, killing 188 people and injuring 829.
The chargesheet filed by Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) in November 2006 had named 30 accused, out of which 17 are still absconding. The absconders comprise 13 Pakistan nationals, include Azam Cheema, an alleged Lashker-e-Toiba member.
The case took a twist when the defence lawyer sought to call Indian Mujahideen co-founder Sadiq Sheikh as defence witness after he told the police in 2008 that IM members were responsible for all the blasts that happened since 2005 including the train blasts.
The court had allowed to examine Sadiq as a defence witness who later claimed that he gave his confession under duress.