Mob assaults, strips Tanzanian girl student in Bengaluru; Rahul Gandhi wants action



Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi has asked Karnataka government to take strict action after a Tanzanian girl student was stripped and assaulted in Bengaluru. Gandhi also sought an explanation from the government over the incident.

Condemning the incident Minister of external affairs Sushma Swaraj, has said, “I spoke to the chief minister. He said a criminal case has been filed and four accused persons have been arrested in the case.”

The Tanzanian girl, 21, a second-year BBA student of Acharya College, was brutally assaulted, stripped and paraded naked by a mob on 31 January night. She was molested in Hesaraghatta over an accident involving a Sudanese national at the same spot, but denied that she was stripped and paraded naked.

According to reports, the assault was the result of an accident by a car driven by a Sudanese student, which killed a 35-year-old Hesaraghatta woman. While the student escaped, the Tanzanian girl and her friends, who reached the spot a full 30 minutes later, became the target of the mob fury.

After the attack, when someone offered her a shirt to cover her modesty, he was beaten up too. When she tried to enter a transport bus with her torn clothes, the bus passengers pushed her back.

Reports also said police refused to lodge a case saying they would take action only if she brought the driver (Sudanese) who ran over the 35-year-old woman.

“When the girl didn’t even know about the accident or the spot where it happened, how can she bring in the driver,” said Bosco, legal adviser, All African Students’ Union in Bengaluru.

Police Commissioner NS Megharikh said it was not a case of racism, but the mob attacked her and her friends out of “rage”. “This is nothing but a case of road rage, not racism. There is no racism in Bengaluru. I can assure the African community of full security.”

He also denied reports police present at the spot did nothing to prevent the assault on her and that initially the local station refused to register her complaint. He said the women recorded her statement two days after the incident.