Minor Dalit rape victim dies 2 months after being force-fed acid



illustration111A 14-year-old Dalit girl who was raped and force-fed acid like substance succumbed on July 24 in Max Hospital, Shalimar Bagh, after battling for her life for two months.

According to reports, the girl, who was raped in May this year, was earlier assaulted by the same man  in December 2015. She was kidnapped on May 19, a week before the hearing on the assault case.

She was initially admitted to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan hospital, but was later shifted to Max Hospital for better treatment after Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) chief, Swati Maliwal intervened in the case.

An irate Maliwal tweeted, “She died just now. Delhi again failed her Nirbhaya. She suffered so much pain. N her perpetrators are roaming free! When will this end? How long will Delhi’s girls be thrown to the wolves. This Nirbhaya was also raped by the system. Can anybody hear her scream?”.

She added, “How many Nirbhayas does Delhi want? We all simply wait for the next Nirbhaya to die”.

According to reports, the victim had stated that she was kidnapped by the maternal aunt of the accused, Shivshankar. The Dalit girl was repeatedly raped, tortured and was also forced to drink acid mixed in a soft drink.

The victim, according to reports, had earlier alleged that the Police had asked her to change her statement in front of the Magistrate. The video of her statement was submitted by her family, reports say.

The DCW had interfered in the case on July 15 after the case was reported in media. The Commission had sought the details from the Police about the actions taken on the complaint of the victim’s parents regarding a threat to their lives.

However, the Police have denied allegations of foul play, reports say. According to reports, a senior police officer claimed that there is enough evidence that prove that the girl went willingly with the accused.

The rapist has been arrested whereas, the accused kidnapper aunt is yet to be arrested.