In a shocking report after ‘lead’ tested positive above the permissible amount in the Nestle’s 2-minute noodle Maggi, an analysis of blood samples which had been collected in a period of one year reveals that 172 of 733 cases tested positive for lead poisoning. The testing was performed in a diagnostic laboratory, in Mumbai.
Dr Sandeep Warghade, Consulting Pathologist Metropolis Healthcare said, “A pan-India analysis of 733 blood samples collected over last one year has revealed that 23.47 per cent (172 samples) of the total samples tested positive with Lead poisoning,” Lead poisoning can be hard to detect and even people who look healthy can have high levels of lead, he added.
“At high levels of exposure, lead damages the brain and central nervous system and can lead to coma, convulsions and even death. Signs and symptoms of lead poisoning usually don’t appear until dangerous amounts have accumulated,” Warghade said.
As per a WHO study report, lead exposure is estimated to account for 1, 43,000 deaths per year with the highest burden in developing regions.
“Exposure of pregnant women to high levels of lead can cause miscarriage, stillbirth, premature birth and low birth weight, as well as minor malformations. Women with high blood lead levels develop early osteoporosis, lower backache, joint pain and persistent anemia, he said.