Italian Marine Accused Of Killing Fishermen Will Not Return To India: Senator

0
94
Massimiliano Latorre, Left, and Salvatore Girone, Italian marines
Massimiliano Latorre, Left, and Salvatore Girone.

Massimiliano Latorre, one of the two Italian marines accused of murdering fishermen, will not return to India to face trial after being allowed home temporarily for medical treatment, a key senator said. The incident happened off the coast of Kerala almost four years ago.

Latorre had suffered a brain stroke while in New Delhi in 2014. He was granted a period of leave in Italy for medical treatment by Supreme Court, however, he was supposed to return by Friday.

According to report, it was not clear when or if the accused would return to India.

“Massimiliano Latorre will not return to India, and furthermore, the possibility of asking for Salvatore Girone’s return is being explored,” senator Nicola Latorre, head of senate’s defence committee, was quoted as saying by Italy’s ANSA news agency.

Salvatore Girone, the other sailor on trial, is being held in the Italian embassy in New Delhi. On July 13, 2015, Latorre had been allowed to stay in Italy for another six months on medical grounds, after the government did not object to his plea.

The two Italian marines had said that they accidentally killed two fishermen off the coast of Kerala when they mistook a fishing boat for a pirate ship and fired warning shots while protecting an Italian oil tanker in 2012.