Insights of Pampore Attack

Two Army jawans and a policeman were injured when militants fired from inside the EDI building

The encounter between the militants and the security personnel are going on for more than fifty hours in the government building named as Entrepreneurship Development Institute (EDI) located in Sempora area of Pampore. The campus is situated on the outskirts of Srinagar.

It has been reported that around 2-3 terrorists have entered the EDI building in the early hours of October 10 morning. And in order to draw the attention of security forces, the militants set a few mattresses inside a hostel room on fire. As soon as the forces reached the spot, a massive gun battle broke out.

A joint operation has been launched by the army, the Special Operations Group of the state police and the CRPF. They are shelling the multi-storey structure with mortars and rockets to bring it down.



Representational image
Representational image

Terrorists entered the EDI building on October 10

There are no hostages in the building.

Two Army jawans and a policeman have been injured.

Intelligence agencies have been warning of terror attacks in retaliation for surgical strikes.

2 militants have been killed, there could be a third militant still inside the building.

The boat allegedly used by militants has been seized by the security forces.


Since then the explosions are regularly being heard from the premises of the building. On October 12, security forces have entered the 4th floor of the seven-storey EDI building and are clearing one room after another as the building could not be collapsed despite the IED blasts. “The operation at Pampore is still going on but it is definitely now in final stages,” the official said.

The EDI used to offer vocational training to the Kashmiri youths. But for more than 3 months, classes in the institute have been suspended due to the killing of terrorist Burhan Wani which created unrest in the valley.

The same building has witnessed a suicide attack on 20th February 2016 which lasted for over 48 hours. Two soldiers including an officer and a civilian along with three militants were killed in the attack.

On the second attack in the EDI building, former J&K Chief Minister, Omar Abdullah hit out at the terrorists and tweeted, “All the EDI ever did was to train young Kashmiri boys and girls to stand on their own feet and not seek government jobs. Militants don’t like that!”

According to the sources, the militants approached the Srinagar outskirts through boats on the river Jhelum which flows from Kashmir into Pakistan. This is not the first time when terrorists chose an alternative way to roads for reaching India. And that is the reason Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh had called a meeting on October 7 in Jaisalmer for sealing the Indo-Pak border entirely by 2018.