The Film and Television Institute of India agitating students has called off their 18-day long hunger strike on Sunday after the government agreed for a meeting which is scheduled on September 29 at the Films Division in Mumbai. But they would continue their protest till they get all their demands.
I&B ministry’s joint secretary K Sanjay Murthy had written to president of the FTII students’ association Harishankar Nachimuthu, stating, “With reference to your letter dated 25.09.2015 intimating your proposal to call off the hunger strike once the government confirms the date for the meeting between the Ministry and the students’ representatives.
The meeting between the student body and government officials will take place at the Films Division in Mumbai on Tuesday, said the letter signed by the Joint Secretary (Films), K. Sanjay Murthy.
“This is a position different from the one communicated earlier on 22.09.2015 wherein the inability of withdrawing the hunger strike was communicated. The said meeting is scheduled on 29.09.2015 at 11am in Films Division office in Mumbai and look forward to the meeting.”
There is no guarantee that the strike will end as the students continue to stick to their previous demand of removing the present TV actor Gajendra Chauhan and the appointments of Sangh Parivar members in the FTII governing council.