A special Mumbai court, on Wednesday, allowed Mumbai police to make David Coleman Headley, the US terrorists who has been convicted in the US for his role in 26/11 Mumbai attacks, an accused the 26/11 Mumbai attacks case.
According to reports, the court directed that Headley be produced via video-conferencing on December 10. Earlier, Mumbai Police had made an application to the session court to allow it to write to the US Department of Justice in this matter, on October 8.
“An American court is not competent to try offences under Indian Penal Code. The charges for which Headley has been convicted by the US court and the charges we are pursuing against him are entirely different,” said Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.
He further said that, the judgement of a foreign court only has “persuasive value” and it cannot be relied upon as evidence. “He should have been made a wanted accused. You are coming with evidence collected by others,” said the judge.
Headley was accused of conducting a recce of targets before the Mumbai terror attack. It had been alleged that, between 2002 and 2005, he made several trips to Pakistan for Laskhkar training. He got a 35-year imprisonment by a US court and protection against extradition.