The jawans started to show symptoms of food poisoning after having fish curry for dinner. While some of them were taken to the Government Medical College Thiruvananthapuram, others were taken to the two private hospitals in Kazhakoottam.
Everybody excluding two jawans had been discharged from the hospitals on March 2.
“Except two, all the jawans were discharged by the evening. They are all out of danger now. Those still undergoing treatment are Sreedhar (25) and Kumaraswami (21). 119 jawans were admitted to the hospital on Saturday evening. Eight of them were returned on Saturday night itself as their condition was normal, while the rest were admitted,” Medical college hospital stated in a news release.
Following the incident, Food safety department and police department’s lab has collected samples of the dinner which included fish curry, rice, water and oil.
“A board of inquiry was ordered today and the report is expected in seven to eight days,” said a senior CRPF official.
“From what we know, these mess facilities are not for permanent use. It is used only when the batches arrive for training. Any facility that prepares food for a large number of people comes under compulsory licensing. In this case, this is more important because the jawans should be provided the best quality food. This fish used in the curry was found to be fried, indicating that it could be of low quality. It was brought from a market in Mariyanadu, near Kazhakuttam,” said K. Anilkumar, Joint Commissioner of Food Safety.
Health minister KK Shylaja and Minister for Cooperation Kadakampally Surendan visited the Jawans in the hospital on March 1.