By Vijay Simha
Manmohan Singh Should Be Embarrassed About
1. HIS ADDRESS, AS LISTED IN THE RAJYA SABHA
House No. 3989, Nandan Nagar, Guwahati. Really?
2. PUTTING BALOCHISTAN ON THE INDO-PAK MAP
His 2009 Sharm el-Sheikh statement with Yousaf Gilani made Balochistan an issue. We’re still wondering.
3. CONGRESS MP SAJJAN KUMAR’S DISAPPEARANCE
In February 2010, Kumar went missing in a 1984 anti-Sikh riot case. The PM’s men did nothing for 10 days.
4. INDIFFERENCE TO THE MANIPUR BLOCKADE
For 69 days, a Naga group choked Manipur. Another 20-day jam is coming. No word from the PMO.
5. HIS ‘ALL IS WELL’ ON CWG 2010
The only person to say so. Hope the paint dries!!
6. HIS MEDIA ADVISORS
They came up with the worst press conference on earth some weeks ago. They haven’t got better.
7. JAMMU AND KASHMIR
What will it take for a Delhi-driven full-scale engagement with the people of Kashmir?
8. INDIA’S TERRIBLE HUMAN DEVELOPMENT INDEX
Behind Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Lebanon. Enough said.
9. THE MAYAWATI BARTER
She gets by. He gets by. The cases against her never take off. The Parliament votes against him never win.
10. HIS INACCESSIBILITY
No Chavez-like six hour monologues. But, Obama-like weekly radio talks should be fine.
& 10 THINGS HE SHOULD BE PLEASED ABOUT
1. His frugality
2. The popular impression, he’s actually been called a saint
3. His work ethic
4. The UPA’s pro-poor agenda
5. His foreign policy, which allows flexibility
6. His family, who have stayed out of trouble
7. His toughness, which trumped Advani
8. His TINA factor
9. His sense of humour, dry but sure
10. His positivity, he had nothing to start with