1. INDIRA GANDHI’S VICTORY RALLY 1971
Five lakh at Delhi’s Boat Club to celebrate India’s war victory over Pakistan. Kept Indira in power for years.
2. JP’S TOTAL REVOLUTION RALLY 1975
The anti-Emergency icon called for Sampurna Kranti, as lakhs listened at Patna’s Gandhi Maidan.
3. KULAK SHOW 1979
Kulaks, rich farmers from western Uttar Pradesh, landed in Delhi when Charan Singh became PM. Some got excited and stones flew close to Singh’s house.
4. MAHENDRA SINGH TIKAIT’S PANCHAYAT 1988
Led by the Bharatiya Kisan Union chief, thousands of Jats squatted on the Boat Club lawns for seven days.
5. VHP SHILANYAS RALLY 1989
Became the world’s biggest bhajan as lakhs joined musician Ravindra Jain in singing hymns at Boat Club.
6. IPF SILENT STORM 1990
The Indian People’s Front, a front of the then underground CPI(ML), led two lakh people in utter silence. Delhi gaped.
7. LK ADVANI’S RATH YATRA 1990
10,000 km. Babri Masjid. BJP government in Delhi.
8. MURLI MANOHAR JOSHI’S EKTA YATRA 1991-92
The original effort. Stalled in Srinagar.
9. VHP AYODHYA RALLY 1991
Boat Club’s last big rally. Turned into a celebration when news came midway that Mulayam had quit as CM.
10. JYOTI BASU’S FUNERAL 2010
They lined up to see off the CPM titan in Kolkata.
& 10 THINGS TO FORGET
1. Mandal Rally 1990. Failed VP Singh
2. Boat Club Chalo 1991. MM Joshi foiled
3. IPF Social Change Rally, Patna 1994. IPF nosedived
4. Anti-WTO Rally, Delhi 2001. Didn’t help Left
5. Lalu’s Maha Railla, Patna 2004. Nitish won in 2005
6. Left Front six lakh rally, Kolkata 2009. Didn’t help
7. Left antinuke deal campaign 2008. Flopped
8. BSP silver jubilee rally, Lucknow 2010. Bee attack
9. Rahul Gandhi tribal rally, Orissa 2010. Bad advice
10. BJP Ekta Yatra, Jammu 2011. Too eager